The Rosin Box Project Presents “DEBUTS”
The Rosin Box Project (TRBP), San Diego’s premier contemporary ballet company, returns with their flagship summer program, “DEBUTS,” featuring game-changing San Diego Resident Choreographers, Katie Spagnoletti and Jeremy Zapanta, and internationally acclaimed Guest Choreographers, Penny Saunders and Mike Tyus.
The Rosin Box Project elevates arts in San Diego
Celebrate the power of movement and ingenuity from a collection of diverse dancemakers creating profound and meaningful contributions to the world of contemporary ballet and dance. DEBUTS exemplifies TRBP’s dedication to elevate and enrich the arts in San Diego and beyond through the creation of exciting, fresh, and innovative opportunities to experience superlative live performance art for artists and audiences alike, blending the best local and international talent this industry has to offer.
The program will be presented at the Soap Factory Extraordinary Popup Theatre with performances Thursday, August 24 through Saturday, August 26 at 8PM.
Receptions will follow the August 24 and 25 performances, giving attendees the opportunity to meet and mingle with the company artists.
An Artist Talk-Back (Q&A) will follow the August 26 performance, allowing the choreographers to speak about their work in more detail.
TRBP’s “DEBUTS” Choreographers
There will also be a virtual stream of the program on August 26 at 7PM (PST) to remain available until August 31.
Join TRBP to experience four distinct choreographic voices, each uniquely different yet connected in their uninhibited approach:
- Premiere by Resident Artist Katie Spagnoletti who has created four new works for the company since becoming a Resident Artist with TRBP in 2019.
- Jeremy Zapanta will also premiere a new work; he is a Resident Artist since 2020 with three previous TRBP commissions and one co-created work for La Jolla Playhouse’s 2022 WOW Festival. Zapanta’s 2021 creation, Personal Perspectives, was also selected to be presented as a part of Dance St. Louis’ 2023 Emerson SPRING to Dance Festival.
- Company premiere of Sur Le Fil by Guest Choreographer Penny Saunders who won the International Commissioning Project in 2011, which launched her choreographic career, creating pieces for Hubbard Street, Cincinnati Ballet, Whim W’Him, Pacific Northwest Ballet, Oklahoma City Ballet, BalletX, Sacramento Ballet, The Royal New Zealand Ballet, Tulsa Ballet, Diablo Ballet, Dayton Ballet, Eugene Ballet, ArtEmotion/Ballet West and Seattle Dance Collective among others. Saunders is honored to be the Resident Choreographer at The Grand Rapids Ballet, to have received support from The New York City Ballet Choreographic Commissions Initiative, to have participated in The Guggenheim Works & Process, and The National Choreographers Initiative, and to be the recipient of the 2016 Princess Grace Choreographic Fellowship.
- A World Premiere by Guest Choreographer Mike Tyus, award winning dancer, choreographer, and creative director from Los Angeles. He has been performing and creating dance for the stage, print, and screen for over 15 years. He has worked as a performer with Cirque Du Soleil and Joined Pilobolus Dance Theater in 2013 performing and also creating company repertory that is still performed today. Tyus was awarded a creative residency at Orsolina28 in Moncalvo, Italy and has been commissioned to create stage works for Visceral Dance Chicago, Chicago Repertory Ballet, Peridance Contemporary Dance Company, Manhattan Youth Ballet, Ziru Dance, University of Utah, and The Lines Ballet Training Program, among others. He is a founding member of Jacob Jonas The Company and an Associate Producer for Films.Dance.
Tickets and More Info
All seating is first-come first-serve, please arrive early to claim your seats. Doors open 30 minutes before the show begins.
Tickets are available for purchase online starting at $40 per person ($50 at door), and the virtual stream starting at $25 per stream access. Click HERE to purchase.
- General Admission – $45
- Early Bird – $40
- General Admission (at door) – $50
- Virtual Stream – $25
For more information on The Rosin Box Project, please visit here.
See you there, San Diego!