San Diego Museum Of Art’s Wild Party To Close Out Summer
Now that most of us are out of the education system (sorry, grad student readers), learning something new is actually kind of… fun. Are we right!?
Especially when it has to do with an exotic and epic party going down in San Diego!
So, allow us to impart some knowledge on San Diego Museum of Art’s (SDMA) upcoming bash, the Culture & Cocktails: South Pacific party!
Culture & Cocktails celebrates the Oceania region including Australasia, Micronesia, Polynesia, and the Melanesia region that houses the country Papua New Guinea, known for housing some of the world’s most diverse nations, unique wildlife, dense jungles and coastal swamps, and rich and varied art forms.
And on Thursday, September 21st, the SDMA is taking all of the good-life aspects of the tropics and packing them into one epic night to close out summer in San Diego!
Enjoy tropical cocktails, live music, and performances highlighting different cultures of the South Pacific, savory eats and treats, art-making activities inspired by Papua New Guinea, and more:
- Savor a coconut-pineapple Pink Horchata Chi Chi signature cocktail inspired by the classic 1950s tiki rum libation complete with a new twist – horchata vodka.
- Enjoy performances highlighting the various dance styles from the Polynesian islands of Tahiti, Hawaii, and New Zealand by Motu Nehenehe Polynesian Dancers.
- A common form of Melanesian jewelry, kapkap (circular shell discs), are valuable ornaments used for battles and acted as symbols of wealth and status during festivals. Find inspiration in The Art of Papua New Guinea and use shells to create your own kapkap accessory.
- Part smoothie, part milkshake, blended to perfection and served in a pineapple. Pineapple Crush will be serving up two refreshing options available for purchase.
- Feeling hungry? Sprinkles Cupcakes are giving sweet samplings their most popular flavors including Sprinkle, Lemon Coconut, Dark Chocolate, Red Velvet, and Banana, and Temaki Express Truck will have their signature bowls, chicken salads, acai bowls, and more available for purchase.
- DJ Carlo is making his Culture & Cocktails debut with an extensive collection of tropical music, from vintage 1950’s tiki classics such as Martin Denny and Les Baxter, mixed with modern music.
- Get your very own airbrush tattoo inspired by the pacific islands or a one-of-a-kind mini sculpture created by Recycled Palm Leaf artist William J Dorsett.
- More to be announced!
- Presale e-tickets: $5 members / $25 nonmembers
- Purchased at the door (day of): $10 members / $35 nonmembers