The Field Authentic Irish Pub And Half Door Brewing Co. Now Open
The Field will also offer outdoor dining as part of the new “Gaslamp Curbside” outdoor dining on Fifth Avenue from Thursday through Saturday.
Known for authentic Irish cuisine, beer, watching sporting events, cocktails and live music, The Field was established in 1998 by Daniel and Enda Drayne. The couple transported much of the authentic pub from their native Ireland – including pieces that are more than 100 years old.
Irish selections at The Field include:
- Shepherd’s Pie, made with angus ground beef, vegetables, Guiness gravy and champ
- Fish and Chips, Harp beer battered cod served with house chips, coleslaw and tartar sauce
- Whiskey Chicken Boxty, a homemade potato pancake cooked on a griddle topped with Irish cheddar, mushrooms and Jameson cream sauce.
- The Field also offers burgers and sandwiches, including the house burger, an Irish sausage-angus beef patty topped with arugula, wine stewed onions, house-made ginger tomato ketchup and Irish cheddar;
- Beyond Meat burger, topped with Vegenaise, lettuce, tomato and red onion
Happy hour specials at The Field include several discounted food selections, including $3 pub burger sliders made with angus beef and topped with lettuce, tomato, onion and Irish cheese; $5 chicken wings and $5 Irish potato skins. Happy hour drinks include $6 20 ounce beers, which include Guinness, Harp Lager and Stella Artois; a rotating selection of $6.50 20 ounce craft beers, $4 well cocktails, and $5 house wines.
Half Door Brewing Co
Named for the half door that is a familiar sight in Ireland, Half Door represents the brewing traditions of the Drayne family and Ireland’s small brewing operations that could be found until the 1950s. Located in a turn-of-the-century house, the popular pub serves more than a dozen house-made brews including several IPAs.
Selections include Enyard, an American-style IPA, 6.7% ABV, described as “hazy with a peach, guava and pineapple nose and slight bread and bisquit notes;” and Never Seen the Light of Day, a black, Cascadian dark IPA, 7.5% ABV, which is, though dark in color, has a “bright citrus, piney notes with a clean, crisp finish.
Food selections include:
- House-sausage mac ‘n’ cheese made with gruyere, asiago and Irish cheddar cheeses
- The HDBC salad made with oven roasted tomatoes, spinach, gorgonzola, brioche croutons and balsamic basil vinaigrette
- The turkey brie sandwich made with roasted turkey, warm brie, Applewood bacon, Bearleener dijon mustard, tomato and mixed greens served on focaccia bread
Happy hour drinks include $5 house beers, well cocktails and house wine; and $8 specialty cocktails. Happy hour food specials include $5 fried goat cheese, truffle fries and mac ‘n’ cheese; $7 ahi tuna taco and $9 sausage flatbread.
For the health and safety of guests and in accordance with county and state regulations, The Field and Half Door Brewing Co. are limiting occupancy to 50 percent and requiring masks for all patrons. Both establishments are also following all social distancing guidelines and cleaning and disinfecting protocols.
Be sure to check with them for current hours, and stay healthy San Diego!