The Iconic Pearl Hotel Debuts New Restaurant Concept, Charles and Dinorah
Nearly 60 years after its arrival onto the San Diego boutique hotel scene, Point Loma’s iconic mid-century modern hotel, The Pearl, has recently unveiled the latest chapter in its storied history, the ambitiously re-imagined restaurant Charles and Dinorah, aptly named after the property’s original husband and wife owners.
Helmed in the kitchen by Chef Andrew Santana and behind the stick by TJ Majeske, Charles and Dinorah aims to bring an adventurous, yet approachable dining and drinking experience to Point Loma locals and visitors alike.
Through his menu, Chef Santana utilizes the umami flavor profile as the foundation of his creations in an effort to resonate with what he calls the “new eater”— a guest who is conscious of the ways in which a multitude of cultures have framed the current gastronomic landscape.
Charles and Dinorah presents familiar items in an unfamiliar way through the introduction of elevated, global ingredients such as fermented chili, doenjang aioli and chimichurri intended to enhance the essence of each individual dish. Expect a seasonal, modern take on traditional comfort foods and libations best when shared around a table surrounded by family and friends.
Highlights of the dinner menu include Curry Fried Jidori Chicken with doenjang aioli, kimchi and pickled shiitake, and cauliflower with smoked aubergine, mapo doufu and gremolata.
On weekends, guests will have the opportunity to savor Chef Santana’s brunch menu with savory standouts including the always-popular:
- Chilaquiles with two sunny eggs, black beans, farro and salsa verde
- Chicken Fried Steak with sausage gravy and hash browns
- Croque Madame with black forest ham, mornay, irish cheddar and sunny egg
- Nutella French Toast with brioche
- Buckwheat pancakes with apple butter, both served with a house-infused cardamom maple syrup
- Toast options served on locally produced Wayfarer Bread with iterations including avocado with tomato, togarashi and kale, peanut butter and house jam and albacore tuna with celery, green apple, fennel and aioli
Don’t Forget The Libations!
With the terrazzo bar as a platform for his ingenuity, TJ Majeske has created an innovative stream of cocktails intended to seamlessly complement Chef Santana’s culinary creations, with a compelling list of direct variations on classic cocktails incorporating techniques such as barrel aging and fat washing.
- Dreamsicle with coconut fat washed pineapple infused plantation rum, lime, blood orange, orgeat and coconut milk
- “X” Marks the Spot with Real McCoy aged white rum, green chartreuse, falernum, pineapple, orgeat and lime
- Slice of Heaven with sauvignon blanc, Giffard Pamplemousse liqueur, pineapple cordial and rosemary
Majeske is equally adept at catering to the whims of each guest, and makes it a personal mission to engage with every patron!
Stay a While
In addition to the 23-room property’s re-imagined food and beverage program, guests will also notice multiple design changes to the retro-inspired interior. Paramount to this refresh are a succulent wall, of-the-moment rattan swinging chairs, new tables, lights and lounge chairs – all evocative of the Mid-century Modern design movement of the 50s and 60s and intended to harken a sense of nostalgia from when the structure was originally built.
However, hotel loyalists who have been visiting the property for years will be comforted to know that while much has changed some key elements remain the same including the highly-popular weekly Dive-In cinema series, enjoyed around the oyster-shaped pool.
The Pearl continues to innovate and stay fresh while still honoring its past! We love it!
See you there!