San Diegans Win 9 Medals At 2023 National Homebrew Competition
Congrats to the San Diegans who won a total of nine medals at the 2023 National Homebrew Competition, the world’s largest amateur homebrew competition celebrating the most outstanding beer, mead, and cider!
The event was held as part of the 45th-Annual Homebrew Con at the Town and Country Resort in Mission Valley.
San Diego served as the site of Homebrew Con for the third time in the event’s history, joining the 2011 and 2015 editions. The three-day conference was put on by the Brewers Association and American Homebrewers Association.
The Capital of Craft™ did it again!
The competition had more than 4,300 beers from 1,708 brewers in 40 style categories. All 50 states, the District of Columbia, and 13 countries were represented.
There were five Gold Medals awarded to local brewers, including Travis Hammond of Santee in the Spice Mead category, Brandon Holt (with Kevin Holt) in the Pale Ale category, Robert Knipper of San Marcos in the Specialty IPA category, David Moore (with David Harbick) of Carlsbad in the Wood-Aged Beer category, and Lucas Orr in the Strong British Ale category.
“San Diego County is full of some of the world’s best brewers on both professional and amateur levels,” said San Diego Brewers Guild Board Member Erik Fowler. “We are excited to see all the recognition for the amazing beers being made here, whether at a brewery or at home.”
The complete list of local winners
- Travis Hammond: Spice Mead category (49 entries)
- Brandon Holt (with Kevin Holt): American Pale Ale category (123 entries)
- Robert Knipper: Specialty IPA category (115 entries) Society of Barley Engineers
- David Moore (with David Harbick): Wood-Aged Beer category (103 entries)
- Lucas Orr: Strong British Ale category (77 entries)
- Kevin and Kazuko Masaryk: Specialty IPA category (115 entries)
- Scott Rauvola: Seasonal Spiced Beer category (39 entries)
- Billy and Theresa Wilks: American Wild Ale (91 entries)
- Christopher Johnson: Irish & British Stout category (161 entries)
Robert Knipper won a medal for the second year in a row after taking home a Silver in the Strong American Ale category in 2022. Billy and Theresa Wilks also won a medal for the second straight year after their Gold in the American Porter & Stout category in 2022.
For the complete list of winners, visit here.
Congratulations to all winners!