ARTS DISTRICT Liberty Station Goes Virtual For First Friday
Shake up your weekend plans by getting creative, meeting friends online, or grabbing the kids for some fun with the second virtual lineup of talented arts and culture groups bringing the arts to the comfort of your home. Enjoy a variety of live events like art classes, DJ sets, signaling, and theater performances. Also, explore virtual art galleries and exhibitions as well as taking a behind the scenes look at the ARTS DISTRICT’s Installations at the Station.
- Milk Oolong Studio shows how to create a textured slab that can be constructed into a platter, mug, and decorative sculpture on Instagram live from 1:00- 2:00 PM.
- New Americans Museum is partnering with San Diego Filipino Cinema and other ARTS DISTRICT Liberty Station organizations to bring you a Community Conversation over ZOOM. The conversation will cover overcoming the challenges of switching programming to digital and how they are engaging audiences now. LIVE at 4:00 PM! Register using Facebook or Eventbrite .
- If I Was A Bird Yoga hosts free Kids Yoga fun for all ages. Reservation required. RSVP to [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> for the Zoom link. Donations welcome. Live from 4:30 – 5:30 PM.
- Join San Diego Craft Collective live in-studio via Facebook. They will discuss their Mask 2Gether Project, answer questions from the audience, and show the latest on what they have been up to in the studio. LIVE at 5:30 PM!
- Join San Diego Dance Theater for a live performance and some virtual content: a sneak preview for Live Arts Fest (now rescheduled for July 2020). Connect and experience their work-in-progress dances from the last two months. LIVE AT 5:30 PM!
- San Diego Filipino Cinema presents a live DJ set paired with images and excerpts of Filipino films and/or photographs of the same. Listen and watch the DJ Qolaj and intermittently view behind the scenes photographs or video images of film productions by the global Filipino filmmakers. Live 6:00 – 7:00 PM. LINK to be posted on May 1st here.
- Songbirds Music invites guests to a Pajama Jam + Musical Story Time! Put on your jammies, grab a blanket or stuffed animal, and gather your family for an evening of music and stories. LIVE at 6:00 PM.
- Artist Leslie Pierce/And Something Different Studio hosts Painting in a Pandemic with Artist Leslie Pierce – live blog on Zoom from 6:00 – 8:30 PM!
- Alexia Rose Art presents a special “Homage to the Abstract” video.
- June Rubin Art Studio presents new works.
- Lauren LeVieux Artist Studio showcases the newest Element series of paintings in this virtual exhibit.
- Nina Montejano Artist Studio presents images of works in progress on Instagram through posts and stories, including descriptions of the processes and themes in new works.
- San Diego Watercolor Society presents “Beyond the Pale,” an online art exhibition juried by award-winning artist Susan Keith. The exhibit can be viewed through May 30th HERE. In addition to the virtual exhibit, the SDWS is sharing an excellent art demonstration by the juror here.
- Visions Art Museum allow you to explore the newest exhibitions through an online gallery. Join the Virtual Opening of Fiber Optix, Kathleen Kastles, and Linda Waddleies! Learn more about the artists through sneak peeks at their studio and a special Q+A. Send your comments, questions, and Viewer’s Choice Award selections when you visit! Visit the Current Exhibitions page to see all content.
Installations at the Station
- Krimmel Arts and Design presents Making Sky Mosaic. Join artist David Krimmel as he talks about the creation of Sky Mosaic.
- In partnership with Mingei International Museum, San Diego based designer/photographer, Jeremy Artates, shares his photo series capturing Tessellation #1 by Jason Lane, an Installation at the Station, located near the Sybil Stockdale Rose Garden.
- In partnership with Mingei International Museum present San Diego based designer/photographer Jeremy Artates shares his photo series capturing Facetime, an Installation at the Station by Miki Iwasaki, located near the Sybil Stockdale Rose Garden.
History in the Making
- Sailor’s Tales, NTC History Project – For 75 years, more than 2 million Naval Training Center San Diego recruits matured and received the knowledge and skill required for the challenges of military duty. Check out some of the stories of those whose lives were impacted by the Naval Training Center. Watch now!
Check it out!