TRG’s Chef Brad Wise Shares Memorial Day Grilling TipsEat + Drink Follow his advice to prepare the Butcher’s Bag meats or your own steaks, chops or burgers to perfection
The summer grilling season is upon us as is Memorial Day, which falls on Monday, May 25, this year. Trust Restaurant Group has selected meats inspired by the most popular cuts from their Rare Society steakhouse menu for grillers to enjoy at home for their holiday weekend cookout.
The Rare Society Butcher’s Bag will include:
22oz House Dry-Aged Bone-in Ribeye
20oz House Dry-Aged New York Strip Steak
2, 7oz Filet Mignons
2, 8oz Dry-Aged Beef Patties
2, 8oz Meyer Ranch Beef Patties
2, 4oz East Coast Style Crab Cakes
4 links of Kielbasa Sausage
a pint of TRG Steak Sauce
a pint of Santa Maria Style Salsa
To ensure the meats are prepared to perfection, Chef Brad Wise has shared five tips and tricks for at-home grillers below. You can follow his advice to prepare the Butcher’s Bag meats or your own steaks, chops or burgers:
- Dry-aged beef has its own unique taste, so we use only wood fire, salt and pepper to enhance the flavors. Dry-aged meats have less moisture than regular cuts of beef, therefore they tend to be a bit firmer than your standard wet-aged steak. You will want to cook dry-aged meats on medium heat, so the fats caramelize evenly. Dry-aged meats are OK to flip multiple times.
- Choose the highest quality of beef for your burgers. Pre-mix the ground beef with salt, pepper and spices then cook on a cast iron pan, charcoal grill, propane grill or wood fire. Each different cooking method is going to give you a different and delicious outcome.
- Chef prefers his filet mignon pan-seared to a Medium Rare temperature in any heavy bottom pan, such as a cast-iron pan. Simply season with salt and pepper and finish with a bit of finishing salt, like Maldon or Flor de Sal.
- Sausages are usually heavily seasoned. All you will need is a small amount of oil to coat the sausages, preheat the grill and cook on medium heat until you see a very small amount of juices emerging.
- Chef Wise recommends that all cooked meats be rested after being removed from the grill for 4 to 6 minutes.
Grillers can pick up their pre-ordered Butcher’s Bags from Rare Society in University Heights on Thursday, May 21, from 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm. Pricing is $155, not including tax and gratuity with the option to add on Rare Society’s freshly-baked Challah Buns for an additional $10. Preorders can be placed by visiting here.
Stay healthy, San Diego!