13 San Diego Breweries Win Medals At 2022 World Beer Cup
Of the more than 150 craft breweries in San Diego County, thirteen of them won medals at last week’s 2022 World Beer Cup, the largest international commercial beer competition hosted by the Brewers Association.
The event took place in Minneapolis and featured more than 10,000 beers from nearly 2,500 breweries spanning 57 countries.
Pizza Port Brewing the big winner!
Pizza Port Brewing Company garnered the most medals overall with four, including two gold – congrats to them! The only other multiple medal winner was Craft Coast Beer & Tacos with two – both bronze. Four San Diego breweries won gold medals.
The list of all medal winners:
- American-style India Pale Ale: Hop-Fu!, North Park Beer Co. (North Park)
- American-style Pilsener: Dieguito, Pizza Port – Bressi Ranch (Carlsbad)
- Coffee Stout or Porter: Dusk til Dawn, Pizza Port Brewing (San Clemente) *
- Scotch-style Ale: Wee Heavy, AleSmith Brewing (Miramar)
- Smoked Beer: Schlenkerlish, Ballast Point Brewing (Little Italy)
- American-style Pale Ale: Cruisin’, Pizza Port – Bressi Ranch (Carlsbad)
- Belgian-style Abbey Ale: OB Bubble Dubbel, Kilowatt Brewing (Kearny Mesa)
- Hazy or Juicy Imperial India Pale Ale: Houblon Deluxe, Pure Project Brewing (Vista)
- International Light Lager: Invita, Burgeon Beer Co. (Carlsbad)
- International Pale Ale: Locals Only, Pizza Port Brewing (Carlsbad)
- Specialty Beer: Agavamente, SouthNorte Beer Co. (Chula Vista)
- American-style India Pale Ale: Aurora Hoppyalis IPA, Karl Strauss Brewing (Pacific Beach)
- Belgian-style Tablebier or Belgian-style Session Ale: Guillaume, Pizza Port Brewing (Ocean Beach)
- International Pilsener or International Lager: Oscura, Craft Coast Beer & Tacos (Oceanside)
- Juicy or Hazy Pale Ale: Haze in the Park, Kings & Convicts Brewing (Miramar)
- Juicy or Hazy Strong Pale Ale: Shootz Mahalo, Craft Coast Beer & Tacos (Oceanside)
- Kellerbier or Zwickelbier: Pils Bitte, Attitude Brewing (Barrio Logan)
- Old Ale or Strong Ale: King of Tyre, The Lost Abbey (San Marcos)
* Winning beer was produced at a San Diego-owned brewhouse outside of the county
From 7 to 10 medals in 2022
This was the first World Beer Cup since 2018 due to alternating years and the pandemic. San Diego Breweries won just seven medals that year, thus an increase of 10 medals in 2022.
The World Beer Cup Competition Manager selects judges from a list of internationally recognized brewers, consultants, industry suppliers and writers. Judging is blind, with no brand knowledge of any kind provided to judges. Beer entries are judged solely on their merits.
The World Beer Cup was developed by the Brewers Association in 1996 to celebrate the art and science of brewing. It is often referred to as “The Olympics of Beer Competitions,” and the 2023 event will take place in Nashville.
The Capital of Craft
The San Diego region (aka The ‘Capital of Craft™’), which is home to more than 150 independent craft beer manufacturers, continuously garners attention for its medal-winning beer styles, craft beer tourism, economic impact, and positive international reputation.
The San Diego Brewers Guild, a nonprofit 501(c)(6) organization of allied brewery members, tradespeople, and other providers supporting the production and distribution of craft beer that was founded in 1997, promotes local small businesses and entrepreneurs of craft beer via education, events, and community involvement.
Keep up with them and all of the updates on our amazing beer community at:
Congrats to all of the winners!