San Diego Breweries Win 15 Medals At Great American Beer Festival
San Diego breweries won 15 medals at last week’s Great American Beer Festival, the nation’s largest professional brewing competition that takes place annually in Denver, Colorado.
Three breweries took home Gold Medals, including:
- BNS Brewing & Distilling (My Bloody Nightmare in the “Strong Red Ale” category)
- North Park Beer Company (NZ-FU! in the “English IPA or New Zealand IPA” category)
- Rouleur Brewing Company (Domestique Blonde Ale in the “Belgian-style Ale or French-style Ale” category)
North Park Beer Company won a San Diego-best four medals overall, including one silver and two bronze. It also took home 2022 Brewery of the Year honors for the 2,001-5,000 barrel breweries.
The competition, which is presented by the Brewers Association, included a total of 9,904 entries within 98 different categories. There was an average of 99 beers entered in each category and the medals were given out from a panel of 235 judges.
The other winning San Diego breweries:
- Athletic Brewing: Lemon Radler (“Non-alcohol beer” category)
- Bagby Beer Company: Three Beagles (“English-style Brown Ale” category)
- Gravity Heights: Brewer’s Best (“English Mild or Bitter” category)
- Kilowatt Brewing: Maple Smoked Maibock (“Specialty Beer” category)
- Mother Earth Brew Company: Hop Diggity (“Imperial India Pale Ale” category) – Mother Earth was founded in Vista and operates a brewhouse there, however, the award-winning beer was produced at the company’s production facility in Nampa, Idaho
- North Park Beer Company: X-Raying Citra (“Juicy or Hazy Imperial India Pale Ale” category)
- Pizza Port Brewing Company – Ocean Beach: Guillame (“Session Beer or Belgian-style Table Beer” category)
- Societe Brewing: The Coachman (“Session India Pale Ale” category)
- Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens – Liberty Station: Stone Cimmerian Portal (“American Black Ale or American Stout” category)
- North Park Beer Company: Double-Fu! (“Imperial IPA” category)
- North Park Beer Company: Hop-Fu! (“American IPA” category)
- Pizza Port – Ocean Beach, Chula Vista Brewery, Karl Strauss Brewing, and Nickel Beer Company: Guns Out For Grains Out (2022 Collaboration Competition)
- The Lost Abbey: Peach Afternoon (“Fruited Wood and Barrel-aged Sour Beer” category)
Celebrate The Capital of Craft™ at Beer Week!
San Diego County is known as The Capital of Craft™, a moniker that was trademarked in 2015. San Diego has the most craft brewery locations among all counties in the United States with more than 150.
San Diego Brewers Guild, which is celebrating its 25th anniversary in 2022, was founded in 1997 with 15 breweries. The Guild’s 14th-Annual San Diego Beer Week is scheduled for November 4-13.
Guild Fest, the official kick-off event for the celebration of the local independent craft beer industry featuring unlimited samples from more than 60 breweries, will be held Saturday, November 5 at Surf Sports Park in Del Mar.
The festivities conclude with the Beer Garden at The Lodge at Torrey Pines’ Arroyo Terrace on Sunday, November 13. Individual breweries will host events and have beer specials throughout Beer Week, all of which will be posted on the Brewers Guild’s calendar.
Congratulations to all our San Diego breweries for the well-deserved recognition!
See you there, San Diego!